WARNING: These are extremely tasty; however, overconsumption is not recommended for people with heart conditions. Eat at your own risk!
- 2kg pork belly, skin removed
- 5 tbsp sweet dry rub
- 2 tbsp honey
- 150g butter, cubed
- ½ cup brown sugar
- BBQ sauce
- Meat rub (a coffee-based rub works well)
- Sour cream to serve
- Coriander to serve
- Cut the pork belly into four-centimetre cubes
- Cover the pork belly cubes in the dry rub. If you have a grilling basket, put the pork belly in and grill over the campfire until you get a nice char. This adds a delicious smoky flavour but isn’t essential to the process.
- Add the pork belly cubes to a disposable BBQ tray that fits in your camp oven. Drizzle honey, sugar and cut up butter over the top. Cover the tray with foil and then put it in your camp oven.
- Put the lid on the camp oven and cook with coals on top for 2.5 hours.
- After 2.5 hours or when the pork belly cubes feel squishy, remove the foil. Add a few squirts of BBQ sauce and toss the cubes in the sauce and pan juices. Cook for another 30 minutes without the foil until the sauce mixture is sticky.
- Serve immediately.